Fr. Tom Pyke
Christ Church Vicarage
Accomplished and experienced church organist sought to play for one Sunday morning service, a monthly evensong service and festal services where agreed + one rehearsal for singers/robed choir once a week.
We use the St Thomas Mass setting and the NEH, but we also use other music. Our liturgy is traditional but not stuffy. Our aim is to increase the confidence of the whole congregation in singing. We look for a strong lead and leader of singers. There is a monthly All-the Church-Family Service when the choir would not be needed, and there is some flexibility as to whether you or a colleague would play.
You will have opportunities to:
• work with other musical traditions
• play the organ for approximately 3-4 weddings and 7-9 funerals per year
• arrange concerts of religious and secular music
• curate and coordinate a programme of concerts
• develop your professional ability through funded CPD
• maintain and develop musical links with our partner parish in Berlin Mitte: Sophienkirche
• develop outreach links with schools, businesses and other music groups in our local community
• use the church for rehearsals and private music lessons
Christ Church organ has recently had Gary Owens' 'intensive care' package and is now showing just what a flexible and inspiring instrument it really is, dignified in leading worship, fresh and characterful for recitals. This has been a revelation, and we have fallen in love with the instrument all over again! At its heart the organ is a three manual Lewis instrument, with historic material from Christopher Schrider and J. Walker and Sons. There are 7-8 stops per manual, with some sharing, and 10 on the pedals. In the 1950s John Mander moved the console to the nave floor and rewired it as a electro to pneumatic transmission. There is a desire to rewire the console again and change the cotton covered transmission wiring to modern Cat5 cabling. There is a small separate positive organ, built by Manders, which is ideal for communion hymns and anthems . There is a baby grand piano, with a nice tone. There is a children's musician (a pianist) in post who will be a colleague and will work with you for larger services. Currently she runs a daytime singing practice (open to all) and plays for the church school.