Father James McDonald
All Saints Church,
Full details available at:
The Purpose of the Organist and Director of Music
A personable and experienced Organist and Director of Music is required for this growing and vibrant parish where music is central to our worshipping life. They are to encourage and support the ongoing development and use of both traditional choral and contemporary worship within the Parish Church and in the mission of the parish. This person will be a key enabler in the growth, training, and development of the existing Choir (adults), and the recruitment, training and development of a Junior Choir, working closely with the Team Vicar and the Children and Youth Outreach Worker (CYO) to shape the future participation of all God’s people in corporate worship.
1. To play the organ for morning services on Sundays at All Saints Kings Langley, according to the Church’s monthly pattern of worship, on Feast Days, for choral evensongs and special services as set out below.
2. To direct the Parish choir at choral services, including a regular weekly rehearsal;
3. To provide additional accompaniment, preparation and direction during major festivals in the church calendar, such as Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter and Harvest;
4. To play the organ and prepare the choir for occasional offices (Funerals, Memorial services and Weddings); playing at these services may be delegated where necessary. (All fees for such occasions are considered additional to the annual remuneration)
5. To support and encourage the Team Vicar and PCC in developing the musical and worshipping life of the parish, being open to ideas and to look at opportunities for growth in traditional and contemporary worship.
6. To collaborate and cooperate with the CYO to establish, recruit, develop and lead a Junior Choir of children and young people and to integrate this into the worshipping life of All Saints.
7. To work closely with the Team Vicar and other volunteers in the selection and arrangement of music for services and in communicating choices in an organised and timely manner.
8. To ensure that copies are available for all musicians and to make all necessary arrangements in relation to copying and copyright,
9. To oversee all administration relating to choir rehearsals and music;
10. To communicate with choir members, the Team Vicar and other relevant church members about all musical activity within the Parish. This may include provision of regular choir updates, updates for the website and social media, ‘Signpost’ notice sheet and the newsletter.
11. To manage the Music budget in conjunction with the PCC Treasurer.
12. To source and teach new hymns / anthems / songs within the worshipping life of the parish;
13. To maintain and develop the existing comprehensive music library in collaboration with the volunteer choir librarian;
14. To develop the ongoing encouragement, nurturing, and training of existing and new choir members, and to implement initiatives in helping people use their gifts for corporate worship;
15. To have primary responsibility for the recruitment and induction of new adult choir members
16. To have primary care of the organ and oversight of the maintenance and tuning of all pianos/organs within the Parish.
17. To work closely with the PCC’s Fundraising Committee and with the associated charity The Friends of All Saints on any fundraising plans they may have with musical involvement.
The application form can be downloaded from: