020 8529 6092
Chingford Parish Church
We are looking for an undergraduate or post-graduate organist able to assist the Director of Music, Michael Emerson FRCO, by accompanying the choirs of Chingford Parish Church in Sunday morning or evening choral services and by directing the Choir.
At Chingford there is a Boys’ Choir, Girls’ Choir, Men’s Choir and the Chingford Singers (a choir of Sopranos and Altos). The men sing with all of the choirs on different occasions. The musical tradition is such as one might find in a Cathedral: the choirs regularly sing in Cathedrals throughout England and Wales and occasionally in Europe and the USA. More information about the choirs and music can be found on the Parish website http://parishofchingford.org.uk/ .
The Post would initially be offered for one year but it could be extended annually thereafter. We are looking for someone who can take up the Scholarship for the period September 2019 to August 2020, although it may be possible to arrange a start earlier in 2019 on a separate basis. Candidates will need some practical experience of playing for choral services (including Anglican chant) and preferably some knowledge of cathedral-standard choral repertoire. Their organ playing should be at the level where they have, or could readily progress to, diploma status of a suitable institution.
The Organ Scholar would be expected, with flexibility, to be in attendance at one or more weekly rehearsals and on most Sundays, at least for one of the services. The remuneration is £5,000 plus some expenses.
This scholarship offers:
• Experience accompanying full Choral Evensongs and Eucharists.
• Conducting Choral Evensong and Eucharists on occasions.
• Accompanying concerts.
• Assisting in the training of the boys’ and girls’ choirs.
• Opportunities to conduct the Chingford Singers in concert.
• A fine 3 manual pipe and a 2 manual “Norwich” electronic organ for practice.
• Insight into what it takes to produce and maintain a good Parish Music Tradition, including recruitment of choristers of all ages.
• Opportunity to take on private organ/piano/singing/theory pupils.
Interested? Please contact Fr Andy Trenier at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and details of how to apply. Applications must be made by 11 March 2019