Church of the Holy Spirit
About the CHS Organ Scholarship
The CHS organ scholarship has now been in place for 2 years, with our current organ scholar, Shawn Li, having successfully secured an organ scholarship at Peterhouse, Cambridge. As a result, we are excited to be auditioning for a new organ scholar to take Shawn’s place. This organ scholarship would be ideal for a young musician with some experience of playing the organ looking to further develop their skills with regular practice and exposure to music as part of weekly services, potentially with the ambition of applying for an organ scholarship as part of a higher education application (Oxbridge, Durham, etc).
The new organ scholar would be supported by CHS’s Director of Music, Andrei Lebed, who was an organ scholar himself at Peterhouse, Cambridge, and would benefit from regular opportunities to develop new skills such as liturgical organ accompaniment, choral conducting, transposition, and improvisation in a friendly and supervised environment.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Supporting the Director of Music in playing the organ at regular Sunday morning services and other musical services
- Deputising for the Director of Music on the odd occasion
- Accompanying the choir at Choral Eucharists and Evensongs
- Conducting the choir on occasion under the supervision of the Director of Music
Remuneration and Benefits
- Annual stipend of £480
- Opportunities to develop choral conducting and organ accompanying skills
- Regular coaching and skills tuition with the Director of Music
- Access to the CHS organ and piano for private practice
Interested parties should apply with a letter to the Director of Music, Andrei Lebed, at email@example.com, containing an outline of previous experience, qualifications and reasons for applying. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an informal audition at Church of the Holy Spirit towards the end of June 2021. During the audition, candidates should expect to:
- Perform two organ pieces of a contrasting nature, lasting no longer than 10 minutes combined
- Play at sight an extract of organ music written for manuals and pedals
- Play verses of a hymn at sight using manuals and pedals
The informal audition will also start with a brief chat about the candidate’s experience and motivations for applying.
Music at Church of the Holy Spirit
Under the guidance of CHS’s Director of Music Andrei Lebed, who is a former organ scholar at Peterhouse, Cambridge, the choir at CHS sing on a fortnightly basis on Sunday mornings, performing a range of repertoire including English tudor music, European sacred music, and also a range of Russian sacred music. The choir also sings at a monthly Choral Evensong, where a full set of canticles, responses, psalm and anthem are sung.