Rev'd R. Paul Messam
Elstow Abbey Church of St Mary & St Helena
Bedford MK42 9XT
The 2-manual organ is positioned in the North Aisle and was built in 1939 by William Hill & Son and Norman & Beard Limited of London. It replaced an earlier 1-manual barrel organ by J W Walker installed about 1845, but retained some of the old stops. The pipe work of the present organ is housed in a 1930s light oak case, designed by Peter Hartley, who was a student at the Slade School of Art, and the son of the then Vicar of Elstow, the Rev'd Stanley Hartley.
The acoustics of the building make the church a popular choice for many visiting choirs and musicians.
Elstow Abbey would be considered a Liberal catholic parish that flourishes with traditional worship including a weekly BCP evensong, but is also open to new forms of musical worship
As we prepare to come out of Lockdown and a post Covid world we are looking for a new Musical Director who can lead us forward with a song in our hearts and a spring in our steps.