St Barnabas Church
Competent Church organist and choir director
The Church Organist and Director of Music should be a committed Christian who provides organ music and accompaniment for scheduled worship services and other activities in support of the music ministry of our parish. They have a pivotal role in the musical life of the church.
Job Description: This year-round position commands a salary in the RSCM recommended range, given the experience of the organist and the details agreed with the PCC. The Organist is expected to play for 46 of the normal 52 Sundays of the year, though suitable substitute organists may be available and acceptable by negotiation. Normal duties will include playing the organ on Sunday for the main 10 am Parish Eucharist and for Evensong at 6 pm, as well as leading the Friday Choir practice from 7 – 8 pm. The organist will also be expected to play for approximately nine additional festival days. They will also be expected to play for the Christmas Eve Crib Service and for the Midnight Mass of Christmas, and for the 10 am Eucharist on Christmas Day. There is an early morning Easter Day Eucharist at which hymns are sung, and their attendance would be welcome at that service! Notwithstanding this, their attendance is expected at the 10 am Parish Eucharist on Easter Day!
Job Performance Requirements:
1. Provide organ and piano music in a professional manner for all worship services and all seasonal and special services.
2. Provide organ and piano music for weddings and funerals. Currently, the agreed fee for such services is £80, with an additional £80 if the service is recorded. The use of the organ or piano by a guest musician may be permitted by special arrangement.
3. Help the congregation worship through singing by their leading of hymns and sung liturgy.
4. Encourage the musical talents and participation of members of the congregation.
5. Arrange for a qualified substitute organist or pianist when absent, by prior liaison with the Incumbent and Team Office.
6. Liaise with the Parish Office regarding the provision of suitable organ and piano maintenance with a qualified organ and piano repair person as needed.
7. Assist the Incumbent in the selection of hymns for Sunday Services, and submit agreed lists to the Choir and Parish Office in a timely manner.