Rev'd Esther Foss
020 8676 2966
St Andrew’s Church,
Surrey, CR5 2DD
We are seeking to appoint an Organist to play for Sunday and special services, and to share the direction of the music. Our church has a strong musical tradition, dating back from its consecration in 1914. Our Sunday worship is blessed with a mixed, versatile, robed choir of around twelve members, providing music (mainly organ and piano) week by week. We also have an experienced flautist and talented young oboist and trombonist in our midst!
The choir rehearses after the service on a Sunday, covering the music for the next few weeks, and then there is a brief warm up rehearsal before the Sunday morning service. The choir sings an introit at the start of the service, an anthem during communion and helps lead the rest of the worship. One of the roles of our new organist would be to accompany the choir, which is conducted by our choir director, during the Sunday 9.45 am sung Eucharist. The new organist and the choir director choose the choir’s music together.
We sing a carol service each year, an occasional evensong, extra services in Holy Week and over Christmas, and a secular concert in the summer which showcases the talents of our singers. On the third Sunday of the month our Eucharist is partly led by our young people.
We are looking for someone who:
- is an excellent organist, and prepared to conduct the choir occasionally
- has the vision and passion needed to bring a creative, yet flexible approach to developing our SATB choir.
- is fluent in the traditional canon of liturgical music, with an interest in incorporating other styles.
- will encourage recruitment, particularly among younger choristers, and
- perhaps develop a programme for young singers.
Salary in line with RSCM rates for professional musicians, plus occasional wedding and funeral fees.
Please send your latest CV to email@example.com