Fr Michael Dobson
St George's Church
Castle Way, Hanworth
Middlesex TW13 7QF
A high level of ability in playing the organ and choral directing of volunteers.
● Knowledge and understanding of sacred music, with the ability to select
appropriate music that can be performed effectively and is well adapted to the
● Good understanding of liturgy, with experience of supporting liturgy in the
● Resourcefulness in starting and sustaining new initiatives, ability to take full
responsibility for delivering agreed goals.
● Ability to work collaboratively and sensitively as part of a team, in particular
with the Parish Priest and with other paid and volunteer members of the choir.
● Good understanding of and commitment to best practice in safeguarding of
both adults and children.
● Good communication skills, both written and oral.
● Flexible attitude to hours worked.
The Parish Church of St. George’s Hanworth is seeking to appoint an enthusiastic Organist and Choir Director as we
move into a year of renewal and growth.
Our regular pattern includes:
● Sung Mass on Sunday at 10:00 am
● Sunday (Monthly) Choral Evensong with Benediction at 6:00 pm.
● Parish Choir rehearsal one evening per week.
St.George’s is an historic church, and we follow the Anglo-Catholic tradition; we
are well known for high quality liturgy and music. Our hymns are taken mainly
from The New English Hymnal and liturgical settings regularly use Dom Gregory
Murray's New Peoples' Mass. We are however open to new ideas and musical
Our organ has a Grade 1 Historic Organ Certificate and is by Hill and was built in
1888. It is a two manual and pedal mechanical action instrument of excellent
quality with a moderate but versatile specification and is regularly tuned and
● The current rate of pay is £5,500.00 per annum + fees. This will be reviewed
every six months. Fees are due for weddings and funerals in addition to the
salary. The current fee is £100 for weddings and funerals.
● The organist will have free use of the organ for practice, subject to the
availability of the church.
There is scope for additional concerts and expansion of our music program; we
seek to develop a children’s choir in the next year that will serve both the
community and the church. Our hope is for the new Organist and Choir Director
to encourage musical excellence and bring energy and commitment to new
Please send your CV to Fr Michael Dobson (email@example.com).
Additional details of the post are available upon request. We are looking to fill this
position as soon as possible.